Matthias cannot be here today so the last few steps of our model boat project must wait until next week. Instead the documentation of the app code could be generated automatically.
Gotcha! This session we managed to control throttle and steering of our model boat via our Android app.
Let’s start at the beginning: We went to a model shop in Berlin Mitte in order to buy a new remote control. All other parts of the boat’s electronic were still working more or less. We decided to get a minimum equipment in order to get the whole thing work from end-to-end without paying too much.
We opened the remote control we bought and measured the different electric potentials which were applied when the throttle was triggered or the steering wheel was turned. Afterwards we disconnected the original control triggers and steering wheel from the mainboard and soldered two different cables on it that were then connected with Raspberry Pi’s I/O pins.
After putting some effort in configuration we could watch first results: propeller as well as the rudder reacted on input of the Androd app! We still have to fight some latency issues but we hope we can get it ready for a first trial next week.
Today’s session I had to relinquish Matthias whom I wish to get well soon. The show went on and we can present version 0.3 of our model boat app which now contains a visualization of accelerometer values.
We are planning to achieve a simple communication between an Android device and a Raspberry Pi. At the end of the day we managed to send an HTTP GET from our Android phone which contain accelerometer values to the Raspberry which then outputs the values on.
Until next week we want to improve the scalabilty and the user interface of our app.
During this session we worked on communication between an Android app and a Raspberry Pi. We are planning to send data from the acceleration sensor of a mobile device to Raspberry Pi in order to use it for remote controlling a model boat. The first steps are done. Until next Thursday we plan to add more configuration features to the app. Furthermore we want to put some basic communication output on Raspberry e.g. some LEDs to see if the values are transmitted correctly.
Update: In order to speed up our deployment processes we started to include a C++ cross compiler in our continuous integration system Jenkins so that we can compile binaries for Raspbian on our debian server.